X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!
In reply to mgn2, Nov 10, 2013

Thanks Albert. Your review of the X-E2 is very encouraging but to me I'm not convinced that the X-E2 will be leaps and bounds better than my NEX-6 in terms of AF and I'd be giving up the pocket-ability of my NEX+1650PZ or Sigma 30mm (or even the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS).

I am mainly interested in a body + kit lens + 35mm fast prime (and perhaps a wide-angle prime and long zoom down the line) while keeping the size/weight down, regardless of which system I go with. I used to have a Nikon D40 + Nikkor 35 1.8 which was on the camera 80% of the time, 15% 18-55 kit lens, 5% 55-200 zoom. I assume the X-E2 + kit lens will be much larger than the NEX-6 + kit lens, but the X-E2 + 35mm will be about the same size as the NEX-6+ 35mm. I already have the 23mm covered with the X100. With regards to a 1.4 lens, I use a Minolta 50mm f1.4 that is very fast but a little too long for indoor use.

So my main concern in moving from NEX-6 to X-E2 ultimately would be the usability/AF/speed/size/weight of one camera vs. the other using the respective 35mm prime lenses. Is this something you can comment on? Anyway, I am not a pro and the marginal improvement in my photographic ability is not going to go that far I reckon!

I suggest you have a play with it in your local store when the X-E2 is more widely available.

When compared to my NEX-6, I think AF is actually better on the X-E2.  There are instances where the NEX-6 cannot lock focus on and the X-E2 locks on without any problem.  From what I can see, the X-E2 probably has the most advanced single shot AF algorithm now.

One thing why people perceive faster AF on the NEX-6 is because all the Sony lenses have ultra sonic type AF motor.  Fuji is probably the last manufacturer who still hasn't get around the patents or hasn't licensed them for using in their lens (witness Sony/Canon being the first to have USM lenses, followed by Nikon, Sigma and Tamron.  Tokina is using something similar to what Fuji is using on the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses I think, it is not USM.)  That said, the Linear Drive in the 18-55 lens does focus quite fast and is silent.

In terms of size, the NEX-6 is lighter due to a smaller/thinner body and the body is made out of polycarbonate instead of magnesium alloy.  So you trade build quality for weight.  But I do not find the weight that much more on the X-E1/2.  I also have the optional handgrip on my X-E2 as well.  It improves the handling tremendously.  As for the NEX-6, I found the handgrip to be too close to the body for comfort.

One thing I never come to commit on the Sony is the lack of quality lenses.  I mean something with f=1.4 and really sharp.  The Zeiss 24 1.8 didn't do it for me.  And for that price, I'd expect it to be f/1.4 not f/1.8.

Fuji's 35mm 1.4 is very sharp, but the AF motor is noisy, slow (compared to other XF lenses) and I don't like the barrel movement during AF.  I'd much prefer it to have internal AF mechanism.  I sold it and got the 23 1.4 instead.  The 23 1.4 is really up there with the very best and it is now my main lens.  It is sharp all the way from f/4 to f/11, very little sharpness falloff from f/8 and up.  Very impressive.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow