APS-C e-mount lens future. Thoughts?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tone Row
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C e-mount lens future. Thoughts?
In reply to PVCdroid, 5 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

raminolta wrote:

Don't listen to this guy. There is absolutely no reason to assume Sony will not make any more APS-C E-mount cameras. They will continue so just like other camera manufacturers.

I didn't want to start a riot and was really trying to get opinion on future Sony full frame camera capabilities. So let me try again:

Does anyone think that the technology will improve to the point we could re-use APS-C e-mount lenses on full frame cameras at a reasonable resolution? I can't imagine these lenses will become obsolete and am counting on Sony producing at least more decent APS-C bodies to go along with them. R&D is done and some of the lenses are very good.

That you get what appears to be a critically low pixel count using APS-C lenses is actually by design and not a flaw in the technology. One of the main advantages to larger sensors is that you don't have to pack pixels so tightly onto them, and while I won't get into the math of why, one of the results is better low light capabilities. Sony certainly has the technology to create a 48MP full frame sensor which would increase the pixel count when using APS-C lenses, but most people wouldn't want to deal with the files that such a sensor would produce. On full frame, 24MP seems to be the sweet spot between resolution and file size.

Tone Row's gear list:Tone Row's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow