Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CanonKen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?
20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
Nov 9, 2013

First let me start by saying if you own a 70D, count your blessings for living in a world where this product exists, and you were able to afford it. It is a FANTASTIC camera.

Earlier this year, I upgraded my 30D to a 6D. Needless to say, it was quite a change in speed, quality, and versatility.

I recently fell into a 70D, and have been making some comparisons. The differences are much bigger than I expected.

-- hide signature --

By my math, a 70D pixel is 38 µm² and a 6D pixel is 97 µm² (correct me if I am wrong).

--Across the board, the 6D has astonishingly little noise, even as the ISO gets over the 1000 mark.  Below 1000, there is little noise.  Above 1000, the noise is much closer to film and can actually be quite pleasing.

--The 70D, in comparison, shows a lot more noise, even at low ISO settings (well under 1000).  It is fairly pleasing noise at low ISO settings (filmlike), but quickly turns into colored pixels which are not at all nice.

--Still early, but it seems I can extract a whole lot more detail, shadows, and highlights from the 6D vs. the 70D.

Note, doing all of this in RAW with Lightroom.

Conclusion?  Both cameras are fantastic, and you are lucky to own either.  That said, it seems to be you have a whole lot more to work with in the 6D in terms of pure 'data'.  With the 6D, I can crop and enlarge to 125, 150, even 200% and get something I can process and print well.  On the 70D, things start getting a bit ugly when you try to push the image.

I was excited to have the 70D as a faster camera for wildlife (benefits of smaller pixels, fast frame rate, etc.), but I would rather work with the limits of my 6D, because the results to me seem much better.

Anyone have experience comparing cameras like this?

CanonKen's gear list:CanonKen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 6D
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow