Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
Second impressions of DPR's GM1 "First Impressions"
9 months ago

I just read DPR's GM1 "First Impressions" after seeing it pop up on 43Rumors, giving the wrong idea that it was something new just posted on DPR (slow news day at 43Rumors?).

Funny thing is, after having followed the strong reactions here towards DPR's rating and review of the GX7, now reading this while thinking it was fresh made me feel "here they go again".

Take a read: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm1/7

Here's what jumped out at me:

• "There's no such thing as a free lunch, it seems. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 offers a larger sensor than many of its big-sensor-small-camera competitors, but enters the market with only one lens designed to fit it without tipping over", yet no mention of the upcoming LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm F1.7 or LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm zoom.
  • "The question that will need to be answered for potential GM1 owners is just how usable the camera is given its extremely small size. Inevitably (the controls) are very small indeed, and that may be troublesome for those with larger hands for obvious reasons." hardly news since it was designed to be the same size as the RX100, a compact, and it consequently has small controls. Stop the presses, "indeed" (just couldn't resist!).
  • "Of course, the touch screen takes the place of some of those functions." Maybe it's just me, but this came across like a backhanded compliment to the company that has one of the better touch interfaces. And this from a site that also reviews smartphones.
  • "Another tradeoff of the GM1's small size is battery life. The GM1's battery is rated to fairly low 230 shots" OMG, now there's a deal killer! Ever hear of a spare battery?
  • "It's also an LCD-only affair, with no option to add a viewfinder (and no room for one anyway)." Yes, it's about being a large sensored camera that's been made the size of a compact, so its an LCD only design which, unlike the E-PM/PL's has a full sized 3" 3:2 aspect ratio touch screen.
  • "There's no doubt that a camera like the GM1 isn't for everyone, but we don't want to sound negative." This in their concluding paragraph, after all of the above.
  • "Then, buried all the way in their last sentence is this: "The GM1 is cute, fast, and packs an impressive sensor inside its tiny frame. It's quite a feat of engineering, and we can't wait to start shooting with a production-quality sample." Why didn't they open with that?

I don't shoot with Panasonic mFT's, I've been an Olympus DSLR and mFT user for 5 years, so no axe to grind. But it's no surprise to me that Panasonic users may feel DPR's doing them no favors lately. Actually, maybe they have: they didn't review the G6! One can just guess how that might have gone ...

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow