ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sam1116
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
First proper camera buying advice
Nov 9, 2013

Hello everyone,

Hope you are not in a hurry coz its gonna be a long post.

Im a student, and own nokia 808 pureview, and looking to get an entry level dslr/slt/evil camera. Im mainly interested in photos with great shallow depth of field, im mad about bokeh, its the first thing i look in a photograph, nokia 808 produces some excellent dof for a cameraphone, but it is no way near the mft/aps-c league.

So my requirement camera+50mm prime lens under $500.

So initially i thought of getting nex-3n with kit lens, then buying a prime lens too but 50mm 1.8 lens, costs a whooping 20k INR, almost same as the price of 3n+kit lens. Next i looked for something mainstream, like nikon d3200, 50mm 1.8 lens costs 13k INR.Then I looked at slt-a58, it has great iq, has few lens compared to nikon/canon but are similarly priced.

MFT cost a bit more than these two and have expensive lens, so im not considering them.

Right now, im in a cocktail of thoughts and impressions.

problems i have with cameras mentioned above:

Sony nex-3n - costly and limited lenses, lack of proper camera grip, less known and has less possibility of getting a cheap used lens on ebay.

Sony A-58 - bulky, not as mainstream as nikon/canon, hence limited lens choice, less known and has less possibility of getting a cheap used lens on ebay.

nikon d3200 - bulky, boring, less newbie friendly.

I did use some dslrs for short time intervals, they felt fine to me, but im uncertain about ther weight when using for hours, hence my mind turned to nex cameras, they are small, light, takes great pictures, but they lack proper camera feel and lens are expensive.

So what do you advice me? Should i go for a58 or d3200? wouldnt i break my back and hand while carrying them for hours?

Or should i break free from the stereotypical thoughts and go for nex 3n?

Nex 5r is beyond my budget. Please dont suggest me anything beyond $500.

Thank you.

Nikon D3200 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow