Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007Gear list
Like?
Re: What if you had $5000? - Lenses
In reply to dave gaines, 9 months ago

dave gaines wrote:

Hi Darrell,

What a tough choice, giving up your lenses and equipment for wholesale prices. I'm guessing they offered you half of expected retail value. Any retailer has to mark up 100% to make a profit and stay in business.

Try listing them just once for the prices Goblin researched in his thread here. Or be bold and ask for 70 to 80% of new value on the lenses. Or ask for what KEH has been getting for them. They are worth it. That's what I'm going to do. List them here in the For Sale and Wanted forum. What could you afford if you had $8000?

For $5000 I'd suggest a full frame body and the best f/2.8 lenses. It's all about the lenses. A good choice is the D610 and 3 Nikon lenses. You can get two zooms and a 50/1.8, 105 micro OR the 85 f/1.8 for everythig you need. The D or G lenses are both good. Read a few reviews before you pay double for a /1.4G over a /1.8D or /1.8G.

I have the 50/1.8D and 85/1.8D. Although they are good lenses and very cost effective, I have tried the new 50/1.8G and 85/1.8G and think that if you are buying for the first time, the improvement in IQ is well worth the relatively small increase in price over the older lenses.

The D lenses are sharp wide open and still have a lot of fans, but the newer ones are even sharper and have better contrast and bokeh.

I also tried the 85/1.8G against the 85/1.4G, and although the f/1.4G has visibly better bokeh, the two G lenses are so close that if I were upgrading my 85/1.8D (I'm not), I would definitely take the 1.8G over the 1.4G and save the balance of my money for something else. (I did only have time to test at f/1.4 and f/1.8, though, and I don't know what happens when you stop down.)

I love the Sigma 50/1.4 for its creamy bokeh, and it's not expensive. It's a chunky, heavy lens, though. It's not that much bigger or heavier than a 14-54, but it just seems big for a fast fifty.  It's a bit of a chore to carry, especially compared to the miniscule 50/1.8D (155g) but I'm stuck traveling with it, because it's such a nice lens.

You may find that wide open, the fast Nikkors have more CA than you are used to seeing on four thirds, but if you had a four thirds lens that could achieve the same look (ie. f/0.9 or f/0.7), I think you would find a similar amount of CA. I've seen it on the fast m4/3 Voigtlanders, as a matter of fact.

Also, if you pixel peep a 24MP or 36MP image, it'll magnify the fringey parts, just because you have more pixels on them than with the 12MP sensors you may be accustomed to.

I picked up a used copy of the 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR, version one, from a friend locally for about half price.

I have this lens.  Love it, though I know the VRII improves on it in most ways.

The VRI has a reputation for having soft corners on FF, but this shouldn't be a problem for event/portrait shooting.  Even for landscapes, I find it sharp into the corners at the apertures you would normally use for that kind of shooting.  That's on the 12MP D700, though.  A 24MP or 36MP sensor might reveal corner softness upon pixel peeping.

The ONLY problem I have personally encountered with the 70-200 is vignetting.  Most of the time I don't mind it, but it was a pain when I once tried to stitch a panorama using JPEGs and had forgotten to turn on the in-camera vignetting control.

Julie

Now I need the 24-70/2.8.

There are lots of used pieces of Nikon and Canon gear on the market, as Peter, aka Meisser Object pointed out in Harri's thread today. Buy a used D610 from KEH? That could be the same price as a new E-5, if there was one.

Your Olympus flashes will probably work in manual mode so consider keeping those. Also radio triggers will trigger them remotely from any camera. That's my short term plan for flashes. I have six FL-50. Six top Nikon flashes would set me back $3000.

-- hide signature --

Dave

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DanNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow