RAW bird photos never as sharp as JPEGs

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,457Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW bird photos never as sharp as JPEGs
In reply to PK62, 10 months ago

PK62 wrote:

I often do a fair amount of cropping, but from the sounds of it, I don't really know how to sharpen my birds without sharpening the entire image. I've never really understood layers, etc. in PSE. Is there an easier way in DPP?

As per my recommendations above, don't sharpen in DPP unless that's going to be your final image.

A simple basic way to sharpen only what you want in PSE is to make a selection of those areas first, then the sharpening is applied only there.  A really cool thing is that you can just do an Inverse of your selection and apply Noise Reduction to those other areas now, if desired.  Works especially great with birds against blue sky (best way to make a selection in this particular instance is to use the Magic Wand tool on the sky).  Note: keep your selection edges feathered a bit.

You can also use the Sharpen tool (brush) if you'd like, or conversely the Blur tool.  But they're kinda rough tools.

There's TONS of stuff on Photoshop techniques out there on the Web, or at your bookstore.  Highly recommend spending some time there.

Good luck.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow