What if you had $5000?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Re: What if you had $5000? - Lenses
In reply to Darrell500, 8 months ago

Hi Darrell,

What a tough choice, giving up your lenses and equipment for wholesale prices. I'm guessing they offered you half of expected retail value. Any retailer has to mark up 100% to make a profit and stay in business.

Try listing them just once for the prices Goblin researched in his thread here. Or be bold and ask for 70 to 80% of new value on the lenses. Or ask for what KEH has been getting for them. They are worth it. That's what I'm going to do. List them here in the For Sale and Wanted forum. What could you afford if you had $8000?

For $5000 I'd suggest a full frame body and the best f/2.8 lenses. It's all about the lenses. A good choice is the D610 and 3 Nikon lenses. You can get two zooms and a 50/1.8, 105 micro OR the 85 f/1.8 for everythig you need. The D or G lenses are both good. Read a few reviews before you pay double for a /1.4G over a /1.8D or /1.8G. I picked up a used copy of the 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR, version one, from a friend locally for about half price. Now I need the 24-70/2.8.

There are lots of used pieces of Nikon and Canon gear on the market, as Peter, aka Meisser Object pointed out in Harri's thread today. Buy a used D610 from KEH? That could be the same price as a new E-5, if there was one.

Your Olympus flashes will probably work in manual mode so consider keeping those. Also radio triggers will trigger them remotely from any camera. That's my short term plan for flashes. I have six FL-50. Six top Nikon flashes would set me back $3000.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DanNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow