Full frame advantage: I was wrong, and now I am confused...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
Re: Full frame advantage: I was wrong, and now I am confused...
In reply to sportyaccordy, 9 months ago

sportyaccordy wrote:

I mean just for example, let's look at 2 equivalent systems. FF 35mm F/4 and 1" 13mm F/1.6. As far as DOF and field of view they are equivalent. But the 1" system has a nearly 3 stop exposure advantage (!!!!) at the same ISO for the same scene. Its glass will be smaller, cheaper and lighter, as will its body. I mean in this scenario, the only real advantage I can see is being able to stop the FF lens down and get thinner DOF- but who is really taking the bulk of their shots with prosciutto thick DOF for the bulk of their shots? Not to mention, that smaller sensor can employ BSI and other technologies that the FF sensor can't, so while the FF sensor can hit higher ISOs, practically the difference is only really relevant at extremes.

Here's where you went wrong. The reason they are 'equivalent' is because their entrance pupil is roughly the same size, so in your example, around 8mm. Optically, this means they have to be about the same size at this point. So it's neither smaller nor likely to be cheaper. Also, it's very difficult to push the aperture any faster at this format, whereas it's not exactly difficult to make a reasonably priced lens for full frame with f2.8.

Heck, 35mm at f4 isn't even 'proscuttio thin' DOF, so I'm not sure you chose the best example.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow