X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!
In reply to mgn2, 9 months ago

So would you say you prefer the Fuji X-E2 to the Sony NEX-6?

I have an X100 and a NEX-6 + 1650PZ lens + Sigma 30mm and am considering putting more money into the system and buying a faster lens like the SEL 35mm 1.8 OSS or ditching Sony NEX and switching over to the Fuji X system.

I love my X100 for the colors, JPEG output, size, looks, manual controls but the AF is just not fast enough for taking pictures of a fast-moving toddler in low light indoors, so went for the NEX. The NEX has worked out ok, but I need a faster lens, and the Sony 35mm is $450 (overpriced IMO but perhaps justified by the OSS). I also would like the small size of the Sony (pocket-able in jackets). If I get the X-E2 + kit lens + 1 'normal' prime, do you think I'd get similar or better AF performance and how much bigger/heavier would this be than the Sony equivalent?

I'd say I can finally let go of my NEX-6 and my X10.

The NEX-6 has more firmware features since day 1, and it still has some useful features the X-E2 does not have. It also has more popping colors for OOC JPEGs, and it pulls up shadow detail much better than all the X cameras as far as JPEG is concerned.  But it absolutely sucks when it comes to skin tone or flash exposure.  And the camera menu is very cluttered.

I think AF is now on par or better than my NEX-6.  I don't know if it is still fast enough for shooting toddlers, need some tests with my 4-yr old.  But my initial feeling is that it is still not DSLR fast in terms of shutter lag / AF speed (when PDAF is not engaged).

Obviously, if you get the better glass, the X-E2 combo will be heavier, but than again, the same will happen if you get better glass for the NEX.  To me, there is no NEX glass with f=1.4, so it has to be lighter because of that.  Also, it depends on which NEX model you compare to, i.e.: NEX-5 or NEX-6/7, the latter is heavier.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow