Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pierre Bodilis
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
GX7 Owner for a month now...
8 months ago

...and I couldn't be happier. Except for the lack weather sealing, I can't find much to complain about.

I slowly geared up during the past year, mainly in Canon... I ended up buying a second hand 5D mark2 and a tamron 24-70 a year and a half ago. Nice camera indeed, even though the Tammy greatly disappointed me on the built quality: 5 times I had to send it back to the manufacturer. They even changed it for a new one when the second lens (inside the lens itself) broke lose. but my second one had a faulty VC... Tough luck. Now, in spite the built problem I had with the zoom, I liked this combo a lot. But this is clearly overkill for my everyday use. I don't need it on my way to work, plus, hanging around with this monster in the street of Paris makes me feel uncomfortable. Shooting people is uneasy, I feel I'm threatening them.

For my birthday, my friends and my girlfriend got me a GX7 (yeah, I'm spoiled). And I love it. It's compact and lightweight, the 20mm f1.7 is slow, but not that much, and is sharp. The VF is nice, the silent mode is a killer feature (except for this rolling shutter thing, it may ruin a photo under particular lightning...), the level of customization is very high, and I could fairly easily set the external button to my needs. The sensor is good enough for night photography (which is mainly what I do).... Oh well, I could go on. Most has been said on and on...

In addition to the 20mm, I bought a Olympus 45mm f1.8. In a mid term future, if I keep being happy with this, I may sell all my canon gear, and jump on the m4/3 wagon for good. I consider buying the Oly 12-40mm f2.8, but I'll way for its price to lower a bit... And I'd like to know how this combo works out.

Enough with the talking, here are some of the pics I shot with my new toy.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow