Do we gear-heads really know what we want?

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Do we gear-heads really know what we want?
Nov 8, 2013

So, we have two sides of an argument. One suggesting that camera manufacturers should listen to enthusiasts on what camera to make. And another suggesting that the manufacturers should figure it out themselves.

Now a prime example that really struck my interest recently is the GX-7. It had IBIS in Panasonic for the firs time, a tilting EVF, and a rangefinder style body that seems to mimic the much loved and wanted old Panasonic L1 with a very good sensor and pretty much all the bells and whistles imagined by the fellow gear-head. Basically, this is a camera which seems to have been molded out of the imaginations of this forum. And now that it exists, what's the response for it? I would personally say very lackluster judging from the traffic and review comments here in Dpreview.

On the other hand, models such as the OM-D EM-5 OM-D EM1 and Panasonic GM1 that were basically never asked for nor imagined, nor expected by the camera enthusiasts who dwell these forums seem to have been a smashing success in comparison.

So this really begs the question, do we really know what we want? I mean I admit it myself, I always asked for IBIS in Panasonic and rangefinder EVF with built in flash and style and all that. Yet I'm more interested in reading about the EM-1 and GM1 than I am about the GX7.

Any opinions?

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow