Anything Better Than a $250 Olympus XZ-1?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regielya
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Anything Better Than a $250 Olympus XZ-1?
8 months ago

So,

I've been traveling the world for years - first with my Pentax K200D (who died with thousands of beautiful images under her belt) and then with the Olympus XZ-1 - which captured ♥ AMAZING ♥ photos in my years in Asia and the Caucasus mountains. I sold the beauty and tried to settle on the Xperia ZR smartphone for my traveling (still trying, its hard to get accustomed to that quality when youre used to the XZ1).

Now,

I'll be flying to see the Budapest Christmas market next month and from there to the northen pole trying to catch the Aurora Borealis (northern lights) on camera. It's been a long dream of mine. But...

I NEED A CAMERA. The Xperia ZR doesn't stand a chance in that darkness.

I thought of buying the XZ-1 again from eBay - found it for $250 (including international shipping). I remember it had a great 60secs exposure which I used a lot to capture the stars in the Philippines (example : https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/308822_10150504336168219_1659820030_n.jpg )

But is it good enough to capture the Aurora qualitatively enough so I can frame it on my living room's wall? Here are examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aurora+borealis&pws=0&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K_17Uq6RPIX17AamoYGwCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=635

So my questions are, I guess:

1. Is the XZ-1 the best I can find for that price?

2. Is it enough for the Aurora Borealis job?

Thanks everyone, highly appreciated

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow