The K3: Not a keeper for me. Here's why...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,386Gear list
Like?
The K3: Not a keeper for me. Here's why...
9 months ago

I received the Pentax K3 and kept it for 48 hours before returning it. My main reason for ordering the camera was what was described as faster AF and lower noise at high ISO settings.

Strike 1: I did not find the AF speed to be significantly increased over that of the K5 IIs. The key word here is significantly.

Strike 2: The noise reduction above ISO 800 was not a significant improvement to my eye. In fact, there appeared to be a bit of unexpected noise in shots with blue sky and good light. I found that a bit disturbing.

Strike 3: Upgrade cost was high for the marginal improvements in the areas that I was most interested in.

I don’t shoot action shots which require tracking. This is another area that has been improved on the K3 over the K5 but it did not apply to what and how I shoot. If that were critical to me, I may have kept the K3.

I don’t do video so those features and improvements are of no value to me.

The bottom line: The K3 is a gorgeous camera. It’s built like a tank and the new LCD, dual card slots and a few other tweaks are all great but in the end the K3 did not perform much better than my K5 IIs and I could not justify what was a $1295 upgrade for minor improvements over my K5 IIs for what and how I shoot. The AF is more accurate but that alone was not reason enough for me to keep the K3.

That said, if I owned any other K mount camera than the K5 IIs and was looking to upgrade, it probably would have been a keeper.

For those who might say that I did not give it enough time; I was looking for two things that are very important to me: significantly faster AF and much better high ISO noise performance. It did not take long to realize that these two areas had received incremental improvements rather than major improvements… in my opinion, of course.

Please do not take this as a K3 bashing, as it is not. The K3 is an outstanding camera, just not enough improvements in the areas I was interested in the most over the K5 IIs I already own. Understand that I judged the K3 based on my needs, your needs and expectations may differ greatly.

The K3 may very well be a dream come true for many.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Jim.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow