2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started 11 months ago | Polls thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,785
Like?
Re: 2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)
In reply to marike6, 11 months ago

marike6 wrote:

The less lenses argument isn't really relevant in a "camera of the year" discussion, in my view.

We'll have to disagree there.  A camera without lenses is pretty useless.

As for the A7 having enough lenses, that's only if you adapt them to Alpha via the bulky SLT adapter, giving you a big, heavy, bulky equivalent of an Alpha system that the market has largely rejected already.  So if all you're getting is an Alpha kit by the time you adapt lenses, what makes it a candidate for camera of the year ?

IQ is actually not quite up to APS-C levels either in high ISO, DR or resolution. Factor in the more shallow DOF of APS-C providing an overall more pleasing, professional looking image in many cases. Your 12-40 f/2.8 that mentioned above is a heck of a lot less interesting on m43 than on APS-C or FF. With the relatively deep DOF as a result of the m43 sensor, images can look more flat with worse subject isolation. So to say that m43 IQ matches APS-C is not entirely accurate.

Not quite, but close enough to be able to disregard differences for a more compact system.

More shallow DOF is only an issue if you need more shallow DOF.  The f/1.8 primes on m43 would be sufficient for me.  And the f/2.8 zooms would be a mixed bag.  There are times I wish for more DOF but don't want to have to raise ISO.

As for the 12-40/2.8, first off, it isn't "mine" ... I don't own any m43 stuff (RX100, NEX-5 and a D7000).  As for how interesting it is, it's small, it focuses really fast, it provides nice range (very slightly beating 16-50 or 24-70 alternatives) and is fast enough for a lot of uses.  Sure, 24-70 on FF (whether f/2.8 or f/4) wins on speed, but if you need that, then you're comparing apples to oranges anyway.  If you could mold it, you could probably fit the EM1 and the 12-40 inside a 24-70/2.8.

A "camera of the year" award isn't intended to say this camera is better than that.  There's no right answer to that.  It's someone's take on which camera is more ... significant ... in some way.  Which one shakes up the market or innovates or raises some bar or achieves some zen-like perfection.  There's an argument to be made for the A7r as well as the DF.  And I think there's an argument to be made for the EM1 as well.  Like I said, I won't side with Steve's award, but I'll certainly acknowledge that his arguments have merit.  (Personally, I would not be able to pick any of them ... either to award or to buy ... I like and dislike things about all three in equal measure).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow