Fuji 23 1.4 vs. Sony A7 35 2.8

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,296Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 23 1.4 vs. Sony A7 35 2.8
In reply to Red5TX, 8 months ago

I've used FF from the 1Ds and 1Ds2 to the D700 and D800.  I've compared hundreds of samples over the years.  It rarely makes any difference in output...unless one spends all there time shooting with slow glass at iso 12,000.

Red5TX wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

FF vs APS ~ 1 stop less DOF APS

f/2.8 vs f/1.4 = 2 stops less DOF

2 -1 = 1 stop shallower DOF in favor of Fuji wide open!!! In a smaller, more attractive system. Sorry Sony, no sale.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Agreed. But a lot of FF fanboys ignore the basics.

Indeed, which was my point in calling the Fuji "a whole stop dreamier." Elsewhere on DPR, someone recently claimed that FF had a "2-3 stop advantage" in terms of noise and high ISO capability vs. APS-C. *facepalm*

I'm not sure they even hear themselves sometimes. Lots of FF users understand the marginal advantages of FF and feel it's important to their photography. Fair enough. I won't deny any man (or woman) their choice of gear if their eyes are wide open. But, as you note, lots of fanboys seem to think that the gulf between APS-C and FF is much larger than it really is. (This flows downstream, of course, w/r/t APS-C and m43.)

I am VERY curious to see if Sony can release genuinely fast primes for the A7/R without blowing up the size equation. I suspect the answer is no.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow