Like?
Re: Fuji 23 1.4 vs. Sony A7 35 2.8
In reply to Red5TX, Nov 7, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

FF vs APS ~ 1 stop less DOF APS

f/2.8 vs f/1.4 = 2 stops less DOF

2 -1 = 1 stop shallower DOF in favor of Fuji wide open!!! In a smaller, more attractive system. Sorry Sony, no sale.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Agreed. But a lot of FF fanboys ignore the basics.

Indeed, which was my point in calling the Fuji "a whole stop dreamier." Elsewhere on DPR, someone recently claimed that FF had a "2-3 stop advantage" in terms of noise and high ISO capability vs. APS-C. *facepalm*

I'm not sure they even hear themselves sometimes. Lots of FF users understand the marginal advantages of FF and feel it's important to their photography. Fair enough. I won't deny any man (or woman) their choice of gear if their eyes are wide open. But, as you note, lots of fanboys seem to think that the gulf between APS-C and FF is much larger than it really is. (This flows downstream, of course, w/r/t APS-C and m43.)

I am VERY curious to see if Sony can release genuinely fast primes for the A7/R without blowing up the size equation. I suspect the answer is no.

I have an A7 on order, but primarily for older prime SLR lenses and just for fun (and replace my A99), but I have a review Fuji X-A1 and I rented the 14mm f/2.8 and 12mm f/2.8 and wow, Fuji has stepped up their game with the new lenses.

The 14mm has the same super fast focus I am used to with some other mirrorless systems and the build quality is amazing.  The slider clutch is really smooth and sure makes manual focus a breeze.

My point is I am tempted to cancel the A7 and pick up the Fuji X-E2.  As you say, equivalent lenses right now are better, and I think the Sony is selling on impulse.  People will buy the Sony, then start realizing they have no lenses.  I wish the X-E2 had a flip screen though, as that is a big selling point for me.  I liked my X-Pro1, but never appreciated the optical viewfinder.  It made tons of noise (not loud, just annoying buzzes and whirs as it move optics around in the viewfinder, etc).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow