Why isn't A7/A7r easily blowing OMD EM1 away?

Started Nov 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656
Like?
Why isn't A7/A7r easily blowing OMD EM1 away?
Nov 7, 2013

Here, I'm taking about the many professional pundits who have been discussing these cameras so much recently.

I would have expected the benefits of the FF sensor to totally outclass the MFT sensor, but the reviews seem to discuss them as comparable -- or perhaps even lean toward the EM1 -- and, well, I'm surprised.

To what extent is this because the EM1 has better auto-focus? And so is that basically a benefit of having a smaller sensor? eg, in the way that the A7/A7r should trounce the EM1 in ISO because they have a bigger sensor, does they likewise lose in auto-focus for the same reason?

Or is it the body stabilization -- I've heard numerous good comments about the EM1 stabilization -- and I do wonder about it, as the FE55mm is NOT stabilized (whereas the SEL35 lens for ASP-C IS stabilized).

If the A7/A7r had body stabilization, would that have made a big difference in the converstation? Presumably that would be no help with auto-focus -- anyhow, I do find it interesting that that A7/A7r isn't coming out way ahead with the pundits...

Only other obvious issue is touch-screen -- I am surprised Sony didn't include that.

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
IQNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow