Started Nov 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
Heart & Soul nebulae
Nov 7, 2013

So I took to my senses, and mounted the under-par-Leica 135mm lens to get this wide field piece of night sky; double cluster in Perseus and Heart & Soul nebulae in Cassiopeia. The trouble was actually not with the lens, but with the adapter. The lens did not fully focus at star-infinity. I took the adapter apart, sanded down the lens-mount ring 1/10 mm, and that did the trick. No more orange halos, only some purple CA in the corners. A pin sharp lens for AP

For a 1.6 crop sensor, a 150mm would be a better field. Had to crop just a little. This image is 70 single frames, or 280 minutes exp. time. No darks, bias or flat. I tried a more "natural" look, not that popping eye candy style. The Nebulae are not suited for that, being almost like a drawing of a heart shape. Difficult to get the clusters right, but they are extremely bright compared to the two (or actually three) nebulae. I was surprised when I detected structure in the emission bands, but learned after a while how to take care of them and enhance the local contrast without getting too many faint stars. Better to darken than lighten, as an approach.

The Leica R 135 Elmarit is a dirt cheap and very good AP lens. And can easily be calibrated by modifying the adapter. It's just as sharp as the 180mm, just a tiny more CA, that can be fixed in PP.

Oh yes, I used the Vixen Polarie, calibrated with Polar Scope and 1.1kg of weights to simulate the camera. Almost perfect.

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow