2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started Nov 6, 2013 | Polls thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,800Gear list
Like?
file size pretty good actually
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 7, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

I prefer the A7 over the A7R (but this is ignorant in that I have yet to see the AF differences personally). I also am happy with the file sizes of my RAW images on my Canon 6D and the A7 is 24, so that bump should be okay. The A7R is 36 . . . ouch for my needs.

Actually, the file sizes of the A7R are not much larger than my 5D2 (actually smaller in some cases) and the A7 files are about 25% smaller.  Typically I am at 30mb for base-ISO landscapes while these A7r samples are in the 37mb range.  If I go higher ISO on my 5D2, it is well past 40mb, but the A7r seems to stay the same regardless of ISO setting.  Canon is just not very efficient.  I notice this with my m43 cameras as well, with my 16MP GH2 typically 18mb at base ISO (and rising) with my 16MP EM5 at 14mb (to about 16mb at ISO3200).  Sony sensors get clean results which compress well.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow