the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Hold on.... lets be realistic about it
In reply to Marty4650, Nov 7, 2013

The Pentax K-3 is a really outstanding camera. On paper, it is probably the best APS-C DSLR on the market today. If it was made by Canon or Nikon, it would be selling in huge quantities and would probably win "Camera of the Year" from many websites.

But it is made by Pentax, and because of this it will sell at about 10% of the rates of equivalent cameras from Canon and Nikon. Even though it might be a better camera body when viewed objectively.

This is just reality. It isn't due to any bias or any unfair trade practice, it is just what will happen. And it will happen because:

• Canikon has a much larger installed user base
  • Canikon has a much stronger brand identity
  • Canikon has more users looking for upgrade bodies
  • Canikon has much more market presence
  • Canikon has a much deeper lens catalog
  • Canikon lenses are generally cheaper
  • Canikon has much more third party support
  • Canikon offers an upgrade path to full frame

If I was in the market for an APS-C DSLR, I'd buy the K-3, because it really is a great camera. But I am not a typical buyer, since I am already an Olympus and Sony user, and don't really need an upgrade path to FF, or 300 different lenses to pick from. Plus I really love some of the Pentax primes.

So right now, the only market that Pentax is catering to are perfectionists who want the best possible body, even if it is just slightly better.... and people who refuse to follow the herd.

And there simply aren't enough people like that for Pentax to gain much market share.

I'm fine with ten percent, since an ordinary unexciting Pentax would only get five percent.

Market shares don't change easily, but they do change. All your reasons why Canon users won't change now were also valid reasons why Nikon users circa 1980 would never switch to Canon. Both of the big two are looking a lot more vulnerable to alternatives lately than they did a few years ago. Sony is also vulnerable from playing Olympus-style Mount Bingo (plus a general history of always being slightly not quite as good as they should have been). Pentax has been doing the minimum to get by for several years... but now is the time to push more aggressively. With strong enough backing, they can grow in a shrinking market, because if what they had before was good enough for five percent, what they can do with a push should certainly be enough for ten. And after that... well, then it's starting to become something like a fair fight.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow