DF is for ME not YOU

Started Nov 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
DesertLefty
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: DF is for ME not YOU
In reply to tomnorth, Nov 7, 2013

tomnorth wrote:

The Df actually puts more mechanical control right at your fingertips.

No, it doesn't!

Every one of those settings (shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, and exposure mode) can be changed faster and easier on "modern" DSLRs than on the Df.

Once you get the hang of the "new" interface, the ergonomics on Nikon DSLRs are actually pretty good.*

Unless you're using a consumer class DX camera, the Df doesn't even make it easier to SEE your settings. The top LCD is way easier to read and gives lots more information. Or just watch the settings in the viewfinder.

The lock buttons on the Df controls are gonna make it really hard to change settings with the camera at eye level.

The only things the Df brings to the table are retro styling and the D4 sensor, which I want very badly, but not in a package that's this badly compromised. At this price point, the lack of the pro-quality 51-point AF sensor is a deal breaker for me. Of course, YMMV.

*Admittedly, there are a couple of glaring and stupid exceptions. Long ago, Nikon hired automobile designer Giorgetto Giugiaro to do the external styling on a bunch of their cameras - with great results. They need to hire somebody comparable to tidy up their ergonomics.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OkNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow