Started Nov 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HappyVan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
FF versus smaller sensors
Nov 6, 2013

Recently, there has been a proliferation of FF cameras (CSC, DSLR and thin DSLR). Naturally, users of smaller sensor formats are stirred. Is FF right for them?

Unfortunately, much blood has been shed in 'debate' as combatants stubbornly defend their turf.

Let's avoid the hot air and muddled thinking.

Smart photog don’t agonize over the choice of gear. Experienced photog know what kind of photography they do. What is the best gear to do the job?

For example, someone might use DSLR APS-C for sports and birding. Likes the EM5 (or any MILC) for casual work. Must use FF for low light work, e.g. shooting BIF at dawn.

For owners of multiple systems (affluent enthusiasts and most pro), there is no debate. They just pick up the appropriate gear for the day.  What about those who have to choose a single system. Which?

I would suggest that such a photog would simply have to make a choice. What is his primary mission? Accept the compromises.

In addition, photog needs to think ahead. His investment in lenses exceeds that of camera bodies. Will his primary system have enough flexibility? Will he always need just one system?

I started with Nikon APS-C. Moved on to FF. Then, added Nikon One for portability and reach (14mp at 2.7x). This extended system allows me to share lens (and batteries/flash).

So, what's in your future? You can be sure that gear will get better and smaller. There will be more choices.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow