moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,753Gear list
Like?
What you left on the table
In reply to John_A_G, 8 months ago

John_A_G wrote:

conceptfoto wrote:

WOW!!!! I am really confused...

Let me say that I am not a pro photographer and claim no special expertise other than I have operated a small Photo gallery for about 3 years and have assisted my wife, who has operated a wedding and portrait business for several years.

First, congratulations on your sales. If you are the photographer and you've generated $6201 in sales for the last 11 months that's a nice little side business depending on how much time was invested to make that money. Still, lots of people spend a lot of time and have no income to show for it.

But, I really have to ask for a reality check on the whole "gear doesn't matter" thing. How many weddings has your wife shot as the official photographer where the iphone was the sole piece of photographic equipment? What revenue was brought in from that wedding.

The answers to those 2 questions should help us discuss how much equipment doesn't matter at all.

The gallery has never made a profit and I suppose never will but my day job allows me the luxury of being able to subsidize the operational costs. Since the first of the year (2013) I have sold 53 prints at an average price of $117.00. These prints were made with several different Cameras.

I thought it might be interesting to see what cameras resulted in the most sales.

Sigma SD15 9 sales 20x30

Contax G2 9 sales 12x16

Toyo 4x5 8 sales 1 - 40x50 7 - 16x20

Sony a200 7 sales 12x16

Pentax K-01 5 sales 2 - 24x36 3 - 16x20

Canon s90 5 sales 12x16

Canon 1v 5 sales 4x6 and 8x10

iPhone 4s 3 sales 9x44 panoramas

Pentax K5ii 2 sales 12x16

For my purposes, the final arbiter is the one who writes the check. I suppose that I must have misunderstood what photography is all about. Maybe it is all about the gear, I always thought it was about the final image. Totally unscientific and probably reflective of the time that the gear has been in use.

Regards;

Mckenna

It also begs the questions:

How many more sales could have been made if people looking at the results were more impressed?

How many shots were missed or lost due to bad AF or too much noise or not enough DR?

How much repeat business or referrals could have resulted from higher-quality output?

I'm thinking that the Canon s90, iphone 4s, maybe the Sony A200 images may have been lost opportunities.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow