considering getting an EOS-M... should I?

Started Nov 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Snappy Happy Regular Member • Posts: 432
considering getting an EOS-M... should I?

I've been seeing these $400 sales for the camera with two lenses, and have been reading some comments here calling that dirt cheap and a good value.  I'm close to pulling the trigger, but a few things have kept me on pause so I'd like to hear from people here about it.

1) I am unencumbered with lenses from previous systems, so that isn't a consideration.  I am moving up from point-and-shoot.

2) I'm on a pretty tight budget.  I've been looking hard at some other mirrorless cameras, and really like what I see and read about the Olympus E-PL5 in particular, but it's $600 and doesn't seem to be dropping much.

3) I'm a bit concerned about the very sluggish focusing I keep reading about.  How much of an issue has this been for you guys, especially after the firmware update, and is the autofocus considerably faster than a point-and-shoot?

4) I read comments from time to time about Canon's sensors being well behind Sony and the others, especially in terms of dynamic range and high ISO.  I can see myself wanting to shoot at ISO 1600 and 3200 in dimly lit rooms and outdoor fairs at night, as well as taking a lot of hiking trail pictures in forests that have some pretty stiff extremes of DR.  Problem?

5) I read a few reviews about the AAA powered flash being sub-par with a very slow recycle time.  Is it really that bad?  Is it any better than a built-in flash?

6) Is the general consensus that this system will be kept alive by Canon with new models and lenses to come, or would this be a one-off at a relatively cheap price, but no future home for the lenses?

I'd really appreciate some opinions and user experiences on this!  Is it a no brainer deal despite certain limitations, or should I consider some other cameras?

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
6x9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow