2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started 9 months ago | Polls thread
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,833
Like?
Re: Camera of the Year?
In reply to viztyger, 9 months ago

viztyger wrote:

I would say that none of these cameras offer anything radically new. The OM-D EM-1 is basically an evolved E-M5 while the A7/R features a mix of NEX and RX1 components. None of the cameras offers a significant step forward in performance, specifications or image quality. All three cameras use tweaked sensors we've seen before; there have been no dramatic improvements in autofocus speed nor do any features such as the EVF stand out compared to their predecessors or competitors.

Both the Sony and the Olympus cameras seem to maintain the status quo of advantages and disadvantages commonly associated with each system. I don't see anything radically new here but I'm going to vote with my wallet: I will get the A7R. I guess that makes it “my” camera of the year by default. On average, it's particular strengths in the area of image quality matter more to me than what the Olympus has to offer (faster autofocus and image stabilization). Of course I'd like to have the benefits of both systems combined into one. Such a camera would be much more deserving of the “camera of the year” title.

-- hide signature --

What components of the A7R are from the RX1?   And even if that is the case I don't see how you can consider a fixed lens camera to be the same design challenge as putting a 36mp FF sensor in the A7R body.  No question the A7 and A7R are both radically new.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow