2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started 9 months ago | Polls thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,786Gear list
Like?
Re: 2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)
In reply to brucevan, 9 months ago

brucevan wrote:

Blue_skies, I'm secretly lusting after the new EM1 myself and if I had $2K for a new camera and nice lens that would be my pick.

"Best camera" is a loaded statement. Best for whom? I've seen a lot of amazing photos taken with the EM5 and it is a favorite among professionals as their secondary camera.

Just check out all of the photos on the internet taken with the Olympus and you'll see what I'm talking about.

FF sensors are great and all, but really who here shoots professionally? I.E. makes money from taking pictures. Not me, that's for sure.

I love the quality of the pictures I've seen taken by the Olympus and think the excellent autofocus is such an important feature. If you're picture ain't sharp, who cares about noise and dynamic range. Most of that can be adjusted in Lightroom.

I stumbled upon this site and the photographer is really good. Here is his link to Part 1 of the EM1 review:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/

Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

bv

I am sure that the EM-1 and EM-5 are great cameras in their own right. And their ease-of-use factor is definitely higher because of the increased DOF and product maturity. I want to take nothing away from that.

I am always surprised when reviewers harp on the usability factor as much as they do, as I expect them to be 'pro users', and use the cameras different. But then, aren't DSLR cameras the easiest to use? Mirrorless cameras have a steep learning curve, and the larger the sensor, the steeper the curve...

I am also sure that many excellent images are posted by a thriving community. But when I compare such images, I always see a narrower FOV or a shallower DOF. When I look at images posted taken by FF, or even APS-C, sensor cameras, I see a 'different camera usage', and one that I definitely prefer myself.

Two stops of light loss and deeper DOF are two ticks against the m43 format in my book. Others may have different opinions.

There is also the comparison of m43 versus FF which makes people believe it doesn't matter much: e.g. EM-5 vs 5DMII, but the 5DMII is rated two stops below the 5DMIII at both base and boosted ISO - hence making the comparison possible. (It shows in shutter speeds, 1/5th does not work well with people).

When I show images to friends, the shallow DOF images always get a 'wow' response, but the deep DOF images get more like a 'yawn'. To me, the m43 evokes the 'yawn' response more often than the FF and APS-C formats do.

35mm at f/2

20mm at f/13

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow