2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started 11 months ago | Polls thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512Gear list
Like?
Re: 2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)
In reply to ottonis, 11 months ago

ottonis wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Do you agree with Steve's comparisons? link to Steve Huff's 2013 'prime new cameras'

• On A7 series:
  • The cons? Slower in every area than the E-M1, not as responsive as the E-M1, Af can hunt in low light. Not quite as enjoyable to use as the E-M1 but when you see your images on your screen, you will not even care Has a little learning curve to get the most out of it. Also, battery life could be better. I was shooting morning till night and had 50% left. Others were running out mid day (but I pick and choose my shots and shoot when I know I have something cool to shoot). But I think you will get around 300-400 shots per charge.

The winner:

• OM-D EM-1
  • Due to lenses available, the quality of the camera, the build, the EVF, the 5-Axis IS, the responsiveness and the color and IQ, this is my #1 recommended camera as of November 2013. I feel the price is cheap for what you get. $1399 for the body and your results will be outstanding.

I am not repeating the earlier thread discussing regarding the differences (link) but am interested in people's comments here.

I understand Steve's comment on lens selection and usability, but 3 FF cameras and 1 m43, and m43 is winner? Do you agree with Steve?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

First of all, let me preface that I truly enjoy reading your always informative and balanced posts. Thank you for all your helpful contributions to this board.

That being said, please note that Steve Huff did not say: "The EM1 is THE #1..:", instead he says "this is MY #1 camera...". The EM1 apparently represents what he (Steve H) valuates most: an all-around package that delivers in almost every shooting situation.

Speaking strictly for myself, I valuate IQ, low-light/high ISO performance more than AF speed or IBIS, and that's why my heart clearly pounds for the A7. I only wish Sony had made a 16 MP version of the A7 without AA filter, in order tp further improve high ISO performance and - even more relevant - to improve the performance of WA RF lenses, as the size of the photo sites on sensor seem to play a crucial role for smearing/color shift etc that has been observed with high the Nex7 and (partially) with the new A7/r.

Therefore, MY camera of the year is clearly the A7. Its design so sleek, modern and it has all the haptic bells and whistles that you need for fast control of the camera (customizable buttons and wheels etc). Comparing the A7/r with the Nikon Df, the Df is outright ugly to my eyes. In an ideal world, Sony would have put a D4-like 16Mp sensor in their A7, but alas, I already mentioned that.

Best

David

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

I said it once, I say it again. #1 Recommended camera. Lets put the emphasis on recommended. Also note that he took several things into account. That it has more lenses, and that is cheaper. But that doesn't mean it is the Best camera, or the Most Innovative camera, or the one that generated Most Interest. It just means that is the safest bet for a person that asks for a recommendation.

I would recommend an Iphone, or an Ipad to even my mother, but I wouldn't think it is the best or most innovative phone of the year by far. I wouldnt put it as best phone of the year, but still, if someone wants a phone, that would be on the top of my recommendations for sure.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow