Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Bmoon
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Re: the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt
In reply to paulkienitz, 11 months ago

paulkienitz wrote:

tcom wrote:

Well, the sad part is that should a photojournalist take the K3 for events photography and use it with the lens with the equivalent 70-200 range, the DA*50-135/2.8, will notice that the fast action packed camera is useless for what he intends to do since Pentax features almost the slowest AF on this lens in the whole lens offering (with the exception of the DA*55 which is even slower). When asking Pentax, he will receive the same reply as I have gotten, we are not the target audience of Pentax... That's why I added nikon a few years ago. Still today, Pentax seems to make no effort in redesigning a 50-135 with an AF fast enough for concerts or sport events... The fastest camera is useless when the brand can only offer slow focusing lenses.

Are the lenses slow to focus, or is it the handicap of IBIS on a DSLR that makes it harder for the sensors to lock focus on an unstable / unstabilized image? C and N use optical stabilization in their DSLR's and I think it's for more reason than to charge extra for stabilized lenses.

The idea thwt IBIS inhibits focus is completely baseless. The two have nothing to do with each other.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

You are correct, but lens base stabilization in low light allow the AF sensor to stay on the target with less movement during the time its takes to AF, giving assistance to AF in low light and many times a fast and more accurate lock.  This is really amplified when using larger telephoto lenses when none stabilized  have  fast little jittering movement when handheld and under lower light will impede with fast AF lock but when they are stabilized there is less movement for the af to work more efficiently.

Bmoon's gear list:Bmoon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K10D Nikon D3X Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow