Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
SB-400 adequate enough?
10 months ago

I am hoping if someone can tell me if the sb-400 will meet my minimal needs.  I have had an SLR for 3-4 years now, first a D40 and now a D90 and in that time have only ever felt the need for a flash twice.  On one occasion the D90 flash was ok in a well lit room the other time in a lesser lit hotel it wasn't good and the images came out very dark.

In the summer I took some photos of staff from my mums work modelling some of their new range of clothes for an advert... I have zero experience photographing people or indoor photography but there was large windows letting a fair amount of light in, the room was well lit and they were in front of a white background.  Now, the photos weren't perfect but for what they wanted they were really happy with them.  The issue is, they have asked me to do it again but being the winter it will be pitch black outside so no extra light in the room, it will all be artificial.  I feel this time the pop up flash wont be strong enough to fill the light.  Will I get any benefit with a SB-400?  I have read lots of mixed reports on it but I am not keen on spending lots of money on something I rarely use.  The SB-700 was an option but at over £100 more and does look rather complex for someone with no experience in flash.

I am not too fussed about shadows etc.. all I am looking for is something stronger than what I have that will give enough light that my subjects are well lit.  I am going to a wedding next year and will be taking photos for fun but I imagine that will be even poorer lit.

Thanks!

Nikon D40 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow