Started Nov 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,194Gear list
Like?
HDRI ImageMagick
Nov 6, 2013

For a while now, I’ve been using ImageMagick for resizing, since it appears to give slightly better results compared to Photoshop CS5. Lately, I read this article by forum participant Nicolas Robidoux:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/filter/nicolas

…which recommends using a high definition version of this software which uses extended precision calculations. As these HDRI binaries weren’t available for my Mac, I had to compile the software using the Xcode command line tools, and I had to download the right version of Xcode for my machine.

Various versions of ImageMagick are available, and the latest works on my Mac — downloading the source code was easy, but building it was not trivially straight forward. After I managed to build the software, it still wouldn’t work — it turns out that support for JPEG and TIFF files is not included in the source code, so I had to track down third-party modules to work with these.

While the build notes are straight-forward, some knowledge of UNIX commands are essential — such as navigating the hidden folder hierarchy and creating new directories using the command line.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow