What next for an NEX 5N user

Started Nov 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
Re: What next for an NEX 5N user
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, Nov 6, 2013

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

After shooting with an NEX 5N for nearly 3 years it is difficult not to get tempted by all the news about new cameras from Sony, Fuji. I have been using the 5N with Sony and also many legacy lenses from Voigtlaender, Minolta, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. Most of these lenses will probably usable on an A7 or a X-E2, however do I really gain that much by switching to these new systems. As you can see I am soul searching. I am sure many NEX users are in a similar situation. Any opinions out there are welcome.

Here are a few shots from today with the Sigma 30/2.8 (third picture) and SEL 18200

Joachim

I was impressed with the Fuji X-Pro1 performance in this comparo: link

If you use 3rd party lenses, and shoot high ISO, the X-E2 could be something to consider. DPreview rated the XE-1 between the Nex-6 and Nex-7, but scored it highest on JPG output (Nex-7 wins on RAW, Nex-6 on focusing) link

I think that soul searching based on the current hype is premature - if you are not in a hurry, just await some actual user reports and complete reviews. It will be much easier to form an opinion and justify any decision.

Biggest gain with your current lenses would be FF FOV. But you can get that on legacy SLR lenses with a focal reducer as well (Metabones or Lens Turbo). With a focal reducer and legacy SLR lenses a Nex-7 would be your best bet (highest Mp count and DR).

As to other gains - ask yourself this: do you often feel that an extra stop would make a big difference in your shots? If so, get the A7, if not, stick to APS-C.

The Nex-5N is still very current in terms of IQ, and there is no major improvements to be had from switching to a Nex-6, Nex-7, X-Pro1 or X-E2, imho. In fact, the A3000's 20Mp sensor may very well be the newest sensor to date.

Why not wait for more announcements in the spring? Sony will get its APS-C act together sooner or later, I assume, and you may see new APS-C sensors in 2014...

And who knows - you may be able to find slightly used A7/r cameras at a discount by then...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow