Like?
Re: I don't see the argument here ...
In reply to tcom, 10 months ago

tcom wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

tcom wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

emem wrote:

.. The K3 is, if anything, only marginally ahead of the D7100 in specs. Slighly faster frame rate, slightly better buffer. But remember these are only the specs.

In real life shooting, of a user base of many thousands (of any brand camera), how many want to fill a buffer with RAW shots in a single burst? 1% ? 0.5% ? How about 0.05% ? I'm sure it wouldn't be many more than that. So, are these things really that big a deal? I don't think Pentaxians should get carried away with how great the K3 is. I suspect in AF capability and flash capability (the important stuff after sensor capacity and IQ) of the 4 year old D300s is STILL superior to the K3. Unless the K3 has really advanced exponentially over the K5.

And remember, Pentax lenses might be very capable of producing great images, but speed demons they are not. Nor are the zooms in the same league as some of the nikon glass that I've tried and some that I own. Let's not get carried away.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

A difference of 33 uncompressed RAW images vs 6 is not a "slightly better buffer". And it matters a lot to wildlife shooters. A guy I know is an enthusiast wildlife photographer and he uses a D4 precisely because it has both a very big buffer and high frame rate. He said those are critical to capturing the very best animal images.

Please don't forget that the high frame rate requires a fast focusing lens being able to adjust between the frames. the K3 might feature a huge buffer and fast frame rate, but what lens of the current lens lineup allow you to take advantage of these features? The common lens for events photography, the DA*50-135 is among the slowest focusing lens of Pentax. Wildlife photographers can take the DA*300 which is a bit faster, but still way behind an AFS 300/2.8. The DA560 costs nearly as much a D800 with AFS 300/2.8...

In order to really get an advantage of the improved AF of the K3, Ricoh needs to put effort on the lenses, re-releasing existing lenses with HD coating will not help.

Not according to my friend, at least in many cases. He says the high burst shots he captures are very often with stationary animals. It's the slight change in expressions or eyes or whatever that many wildlife shooters are trying to capture. This is not to say that fast focusing isn't useful. Of course it is and we all know Pentax's strength is not in the long telephoto arena.

Ok, yes, this is a topic where a large buffer can be helpful without needing a fast AF. But I guess that if your friend is using a D4 for wildlife, he also wants to capture fights or hunting where a fast AF is needed.

When trying to capture the critical moments in wildlife photography using 8 FPS is still too slow for capture the scene I would like  to catch. I rely more on timing to take these kind of photographs in 1/8  of a second a lot of things can happen just watch a video at 30 FPS frame by frame and see how much action you miss.

Bmoon's gear list:Bmoon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K10D Nikon D3X Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow