Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt
In reply to awaldram, Nov 5, 2013

awaldram wrote:

andrew britten wrote:

Presumably you're using 1 as representing the best?

yes

I suppose I didn't expect the 16-50 to rate so low.

I wouldn't see it as low just slower than those above but then like the da*55 above it a long throw lens and has to be slower due to accuracy required for intended use.

i.e da* 300 is likely to be shooting 25M+ where you talking DoF in feet, but the da*55 and da* 16-50 are most likely to be used into 1-3m range were DoF is very much inches and even focused on nose not eye will be noticeable.

It woudl be a serious indictment of Pentax if short range portrait lens whipped Telephotos butts in the AF stakes

AB

So what does it mean when a $200 plastic fantastic focuses faster than than a $1000 50-135 or $1500+ 60-250?  I often resigned to shooting pictures of my kids with the 35mm F2.4 DA because I could at least get a few shots in focus.  Yes there's more depth of field, but my other "fast" screw drive lens, the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 was way faster @ 50mm than my DA* 50-135 was @ 50mm.  That's what I call a serious indictment.  For reference my D800 I switched to is faster with a "cheap" 85mm F1.8 than my K5 was with the 50-135 with a higher keeper rate shooting wide open on a full frame camera!  When the camera nailed focus though, the output of the 50-135 was great, and I loved the bokeh, still do...

IMO Ricoh should try and license Sigma or Tamron's lens AF technology and start retro-fitting some lenses with otherwise great optics to at least give Pentax a fighting chance.

It is encouraging that the K3 sounds like it doesn't spend so much time "confirming" AF though, but I had also read the same before buying my K5.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow