the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt
In reply to paulkienitz, 11 months ago

Not that I'm a fan, by any means, but you didn't mention Sony, which has two or three DSLRs 2 10 fps and one @ 12 fps. Of course I don't follow them closely enough to know if they're any good as far as focusing speed, or AFC goes, and I think they're all employing some sort of "translucent" mirror technology now, rather than full-on "slap-and-slap" mirror like most DSLRs have (and I'm not sure what the possible pluses or minuses of that are). But they ARE also one of only two other brands that have IBIS.

I have NO desire to go Sony, at any rate. I'd switch to Canon or Nikon before I'd go there. As for Olympus, well, I keep reading all sorts of complaints from those folks that they've abandoned the format they were using, that most of the folks liked (again, I don't follow what they do closely enough to really be able to talk intelligently about the details). I believe they're the third brand that has IBIS, if I'm not mistaken. Fuji seems to still be mostly a fringe player, and Panasonic is in the same 4/3 market as Oly, I believe, but I'm not sure where they are these days.

At any rate, I'm in COMPLETE AGREEMENT (at least until and unless CaNikon release a competent RESPONSE to the K-3) that at least for the time being Ricoh has thrown down the gauntlet, so to speak. At the very least, I think it should make folks who are just now moving into DSLR -- like maybe from bridge cameras -- give Pentax a serious look. I know the K-5 did that for me 2.5 years ago. I was flip-flopping between Canon and Nikon (leaning towards Canon because I'd bought a 430EXII dedicated flash for one of their better Bridge cameras in 2009 or 2010, partly thinking I could use it with a Canon DSLR later), when mostly on a WHIM I decided to see what Pentax had to offer, since I'd shot Pentax SLRs in my film days. When I saw that the few Pentax lenses I still had that didn't get stolen out of my camera bag in 1995 would work, fully functional, even AF, with the K-5, and then read reviews that put in on par, or better than the D7000 in most respects (the D7000s dual-card slot was the ONLY feature it had that I really wanted on the K-5), well, everyone knows which way I went.

Well, after 2 years of posting I expected Pentax's NEXT iteration to have dual card slots capable of taking advantage of fast cards like UHS-1 (which the K-5 also can't, but the D7000 can), I got my wish on BOTH counts, plus they added MORE... including features NOBODY has, like the selectable AA filter simulation.

I'm not sure how many folks actually DO go through all the trouble of selling existing cameras and lenses to completely switch systems unless they're REALLY fed up AND/OR also have a sudden influx of cash. So I don't know that we'll get that many "converts." But we MAY get some CaNikon shooters who buy their first Pentax kit, being maybe the K-3 with the 18-135, etc., AND if they really like it, they may just stop buying lenses for their other stuff and slowly shift, then maybe eventually sell the other stuff. That's the route I'd take if I was interested in switching but didn't want to make it a FULL COMMITMENT and lose what I had all at once.

My biggest hope, though, is just that Ricoh is going to really start SUPPORTING the Pentax brand like it hasn't been in a long time, like with the full-page color ads I've seen for the K-50... run some of those for the K-3, as well, and give Pentax a serious market presence again, so people other than serious photographers actually know what Pentax IS. I think more folks would buy Pentax cameras if only they knew they EXISTED, and ESPECIALLY if they didn't have to do it all mail-order or online. When you can walk into ANY Sam's Club, Costco, Wal-Mart or Best Buy and have a HUGE selection of CaNikon, Sony and other Brands but no Pentax cameras at all, well, it's just not as "convenient," and it certainly puts a damper on "impulse buying." The fact that I can walk into my local Costco and pick up a D7100 or a D5200, with lens attached, and sometimes it's even plugged in where I can turn it on (not the last time I was there, but sometimes), so I can actually see some of what it does, well, that gives it a bit of a "wow" factor that Pentax just CAN'T get from Amazon or B&H or Adorama. I hope they can find a way to get in the big box stores, as well -- and not just with their bridge cameras or stuff like the WG3.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow