Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?
Re: the K3 is perfectly tiimed to hit C and N where they hurt
In reply to tcom, 8 months ago

tcom wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

I've been looking at some threads of Nikonians hurting over the lack of a D400, and something somebody said there crystallized exactly why they're in pain, and why the situation is no better in Canonland. It is this: for the last few years, neither of those companies has offered a new high-speed action oriented body outside of the top end pro photojournalist tier! Many users of both brands are desperate for an affordable camera that is fast, regardless of whether it's FF or crop. And this means that the K-3 is not just looking good because it's new and is briefly ahead of competing offerings... it is, for the moment, offering something that the big two refuse to sell you unless you pay three or four times the price! It's looking like a very good time for a C or N user, if they're at all interested in action, to switch to Pentax. (Or to Oly.) I think we'll pick up more converts than we are used to getting on a normal new release.

Of course, those wanting a fast camera may be rather disappointed with SDM, so if (as faintly rumored) they are working on updates of the star lenses with new motors, they'd better be quick about it, before the D7200 and 80D come out with major speed upgrades.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

Well, the sad part is that should a photojournalist take the K3 for events photography and use it with the lens with the equivalent 70-200 range, the DA*50-135/2.8, will notice that the fast action packed camera is useless for what he intends to do since Pentax features almost the slowest AF on this lens in the whole lens offering (with the exception of the DA*55 which is even slower). When asking Pentax, he will receive the same reply as I have gotten, we are not the target audience of Pentax... That's why I added nikon a few years ago. Still today, Pentax seems to make no effort in redesigning a 50-135 with an AF fast enough for concerts or sport events... The fastest camera is useless when the brand can only offer slow focusing lenses.

Strange speaking to the Pentax rep Saturday and he was telling me the 50-135 is the fastest focusing SDM lens.

Personally I'd give the edge to the da*300 but the 50-135 is not out the running at least my copy.

I often wonder given the 50-135 reputation if there's a lot of 'tight' 50-135's out there not focusing properly .

Maybe the reason Pentax has no intention of re-designing the lens is they feel it's competitive as it is ?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow