All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,159Gear list
Like?
Re: All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Nov 5, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love. I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

Have the 17 and 12-40 on my want list, but I might just keep the 12-50 anyway.  It's smaller than the 12-40 weather sealed unlike the 17 or 45.  And sometimes you just don't want to take your best lens into a hostile environment. (be it a muddy climb or a shady neighborhood)

How weatherproof is the 12-50mm?

Haven't dunked it, but it held up just fine during all day rain in Scotland

BTW, I bought the olympus lens hood for it too.

Wound up using a ring w aperture markings on it from an old lens as a lens hood.  May not give the flare protection of the factory hood, but it's saved the front element a couple times already.

My thoughts on the lens:  Would be nice if it were sharper, or brighter, or smaller, or less expensive (the $500 list is a bit steep I think) But it was the only weather sealed kit lens for the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow