ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 681
Like?
Grammer redux
10 months ago

(spulling, too...)

This is not meant to be even a minor rebuke of the OP of the orginal whose maximum post count was met a few hours ago...seriously. I got a chuckle out of the following the first time I saw it in small font in the masthead of a local paper:

"If you find any mistakes in our newspaper it is because we like to please all of our readership, and some people are always looking for mistakes."

I'll be the first to admit that I make errors of all kinds, often just typos, but sometimes some real "D'oh!!" material. I was even corrected publicly by my aged father at a family gathering a couple of years ago, and I teach and correct 400 level essays in the language!!

Egads!! More-so because he was right. (instert 'embarrassed' smiley here)

That said, I think it is rude to offer to correct people's grammar other than privately. Terminology and pronunciation might be okay if done skillfully, but grammar seems a bit harsh...to me. It doesn't make their mistakes any more palatable by being willing to overlook them, but I also don't think it dignifies people to call them out in public when one doesn't really need to ask for clarification because one does actually understand their meaning.

Anyway, I invite a continuation of the topic posted by the other gentleman, providing he doesn't object...in which case, please desist on his account, not mine.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow