All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 955Gear list
Like?
Re: I've just given up on the 12-50.
In reply to FrankParis, Nov 4, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

The 10mm on the tele end just isn't enough to lust for.

I'll just use my surprisingly sharp Oly 40-150 M.Zuiko (the first version) for longer reach. I don't use telephoto zooms indoors anyway so the smaller aperture is fine with me.

I have the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, so I don't need the 12-50mm for macro.

Same here, the 60 macro is superb!

The 12-50 was just a stop gap measure for me, until something better came along. Well, the 12-40mm is incomparably better, and has the equivalent 12-50 macro capability at all focal lengths. Of course you pay dearly for the amazing 12-40mm IQ and luscious build quality, but I've lived for photography for too many years to spend the waning years of my life without a completely satisfying normal zoom.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

I agree totally Frank. I've put up with a lot in my life and in my "golden" years feel I deserve some rewards like a super great 12-40 zoom, and who knows I may be lucky enough to upgrade to all the PRO Olympus MFT lenses (40-150 F2.8, etc.) coming in the next few years.

Bobby

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow