Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, s
In reply to cdherman, 11 months ago

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

The only thing valuable I have left are the two prime lenses.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

Your honest thoughts.....

You're not that heavily invested now and it sounds like you can afford to make a jump to whatever brand suits you and your daughter best - probably a good idea to hit up a camera shop and try out several different brands with lenses you'd be interested in.

IMO Pentax, Nikon, Sony, Olympus & Panasonic all have some really great and unique cameras right now to choose from, unfortunately no one brand checks off all the boxes.  I'm not a huge Canon fan but the AF system of the 5D MkIII sounds pretty amazing, at least with newer lenses.  Their outdated sensor technology and pricing is a major downside for me though (don't care for white lenses either even though I realize there's a good reason for it).

If yearbook photography includes sports and flash photography, lens and flash selection should be just as big a part of your decision as available bodies.  If you're planning to shoot video, capability varies wildly from one brand/body to the next.

What are the odds you'll both end up with a camera body?  Shooting with a brand that offers unique bodies with different pros/cons is also something to keep in mind ie) I have an EM5 and a GF3.  If my wife wants a small camera she can throw in her purse and not have to be worried about the value, the GF3 is perfect.  Around the house, it doesn't even get used but is available so cheaply that it's worth keeping as a "purse camera".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow