All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,265Gear list
Like?
It's a pretty decent lens, I think
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 5 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love. I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

Over the 12-40 the 12-50 has that 10 mm at the long end, but also a pretty reasonable macro setting, and has the dual 'manual / wire' focus modes (I use manual, but the wired mode would be useful for video).

Otherwise it is not up to the 12-40 f/2.8 quality, but then that's hardly surprising.  My results from it are not stellar (not up to par with the 12-60 on the E-5) but they've been quite acceptable.

How weatherproof is the 12-50mm?

Seems pretty good.  I've had no problems using it with the E-M5 in moderate to heavy rain.

BTW, I bought the olympus lens hood for it too.

I bought some cheap eBay thing instead.  It marred the barrel slightly, so I guess there's a lesson there.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow