Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
Re: Equivalent Aperture
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 9 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Jeff wrote:

rfsIII wrote:

Basically, it's an easy way for old people with happy memories of shooting with a particular focal-length lens on their 35mm film cameras to pick an equivalent lens for their APS-C, or 4/3rds cameras. Everyone agrees on that part of it. There's another part of the equivalence discussion, however, which gets very emotional.

For whatever reason, discussing the relationship of f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO takes people to a place that's very raw, very hurt, and very angry. Especially when it comes to noise, exposure, and depth of field, people square off and attack with fury when they feel their point is being disrespected.

Does anyone have insight into why people on either side of the equivalence discussion are so quick to have their feelings hurt?

No feelings are hurt. I just think you're being narrow minded.

Here's the thing. Some folks (I'm one of them) like shooting in multiple formats. Sometimes with a phone, sometimes with a point and shoot, sometimes with an mFT system. Here's a gallery of mine with all of the above http://www.flickr.com/photos/jck_photos/sets/72157633967193553/ Understanding the relationship among formats makes it much easier to understand how to look at scene, visualize the image, and set up the camera as you like, or decide to use a different camera.

Now if you shoot with only one format that may not matter to you. Regrettable, imho, but that's your choice, not mine.

Again, no feelings are hurt. That is, unless someone insists on imposing their ignorance on others which is the usual trigger for those flair-ups.

Thank you for your civilized and informed contribution to these forums. I have learned a lot by reading your posts.

I have also enjoyed your imagery taken at Rainy Lake . And the other places in your jck sets.

You might want to consider bringing your camera(s) up to Georgian Bay sometime!

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,  thanks so much for the kind words.  I do think we have similar photography interests, and would very much like to get over to Georgian Bay one of these days.  I'd also like to try the rugged shore of Lake Superior northeast of Thunder Bay.  Great scenery and absolutely unique geology.

It's a nice group around here (when they're not bickering).

Jeff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow