Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
BigGG
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts
In reply to cdherman, 11 months ago

My first "real" camera was a Honeywell Pentax 35mm Spotmatic back in the 70's. So I tend to like the brand. However the choices in lens's are dying off.  In the eighties I shifted to Minolta's because of their automation features (AF, etc) and the lenses. I loved the 'minolta colors'. Then Canon point-and-shoot for aerial photos.

As far as the Sigma 50-500 goes, I have owned  a Bigma for the last six years and it is a great 'day light' lens if you need the reach. It is NOT a low light lens at all. Also the Bigma is really heavy.

What I would recommend is the Sigma 28-250 lens for more general photography.

The real question is "Do you want a DSLR or a mirrorless?"  As for me I shoot two systems, the Sony A99/A77 when I want a specialty lens or the Panasonic GX-7  (Leitz 25mm F/1.4) when I want a camera that is less intimidating.  I have a substantial investment in Sony/Minolta "A" mount lens and still use lenses daily that I bought twenty years ago. I have new lens's too and some are better for a particular application than others. My favorite lens's for portraits are the twenty year old Minolta 100mm Soft Focus,  Minolta 85mm F/1.4, and the new Sony 135mm STF F/2.8 T[4.5].

I think that if I were shifting bodies NOW, I would probably buy Canon, then Sony (ex Minolta) , then Nikon. I don't think that Nikon has the financial resources over the long term than either Canon or Sony.

If you are outside the US then I would say Canon/Nikon for service reasons.

GaryG

BigGG's gear list:BigGG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow