Mirrorless shipments surge....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Spreadsheet of units sold by region.
In reply to Abrak, 11 months ago

Abrak wrote:

One other observation I would make about the market.

The unit price of DSLRs shipped in Japan is 17% higher than those to the US. The average price of mirrorless shipped is almost identical. Now that obviously implies that in Japan, higher priced models - presumably FF - make up a greater percentage of DSLR sales. But as DSLR sales are a smaller percentage of the overall market, then FF could easily be roughly the same percentage in both markets.

I also don't think you can necessarily assume that the difference is due to FF.  The difference in DSLR unit price could also reflect greater demand for enthusiast APS-C models relative to entry level APS-C in Japan.

Regarding differences in demand for FF, on AmazonUS, the 6D is currently the 5th best selling DSLR and 5D Mk III is 6th. The best selling FF configuration in Japan is currently the 6D in 14th place (I realize that both BCN and Amazon are far from perfect indicators of actual sales).

This makes perfect sense to me. What seems to have happened is that mirrorless has replaced a fair proportion of the APS-C models in Japan while it has failed to do so in the US. Rather than a sensor war, as mirrorless is often viewed on this forum, it is more a competition of body preferences over roughly the same size sensor/IQ.

Japan/Asia has always valued smaller size and it was noticeable that Canon even mentioned last week at their results that their mini-DSLR the SL1 was selling well in Asia. It seems that the US and Europe actually prefer larger (and perhaps a viewfinder as well) and to this end Sony even introduced the A3000 - a mirrorless with the form factor of a DSLR.

Are you referring to cameras or consumer items in general?  I've seen this stereotype voiced many times, but I wonder to what extent it is actually true.  If it is true, then I assume it would imply that Japan/Asia also prefers smaller smartphones, TVs, cars, etc. However, from what I've read, phablet phones are very popular in Eastern Asia and GM reported record sales in China for the past year, led by sales of large Buicks.  Perhaps, those with money are buying larger goods to tout their wealth.

The SL1 (Kiss X7 in Japan) is, indeed, selling very well (5th best selling ILC this week).  However, it is also doing fairly well in the US--currently the 15th best selling DSLR on AmazonUS.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow