Veteran MemberPosts: 3,987Gear list
Like?
Re: Some real world experiences ...
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, 10 months ago

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

Grevture wrote:

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

Fair and valid points although the large telephotos would

have very slow stock turn and high stock holding cost which would have to be factored into end of day profit on those

Most stores don't have them in stock at all; if you want one, you order one.

And here is the kicker: Lenses like 500/4 sell in surprising numbers, in spite of costing $8500 - $10000 - they are popular for birding and wildlife. And when you buy one of those brutes, you tend also to buy a large steady tripod (like a $1000 Gitzo) and a a large gimbal head (like a $500 Wimberly) just for good measure. And maybe a new large backpack to carry the stuff. A single order like that can provide more margins for a store then the mirrorless sales does in a couple of weeks.

Now, the big money earners in terms of lenses are not those big and rare items, but rather the intersection of good margins and high sales volumes - lenses like 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and the 100-400 (Canon) or 80-400 (Nikon) in the $1500 - $2500 price range who sell in good numbers and still have very decent margins both for retailers and manufacturers. Also prime lenses like 28/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, and all the various macro lenses etc who are attainable for many, but still carry a price tag which allows for some margins.

items...What's the micro four thirds and other mirrorless marketing like in the Nordic countries?

Nikon has made a bit of advertising, Sony a tiny amount, and as of late it evidently has been Samsungs turn to beat the drum - they have had a successful campaign of "but a NX, get a Galaxy Tab for free" which has propelled them to the number two spot among mirrorless here in Sweden (behind Sony). Advertising aside, I guess it is the usual stuff: They visit stores, have training for sales people on new models etc.

O-MD usersdon't have as much user for tripods

Why not? Every camera benefits from a tripod. Now I agree owners of smaller cameras tend not to use tripods as often (contradicts the idea of carrying around a small and light camera), but that does not make them any less useful.

and GH users would need different kinds of tripods and accessories that maybe aren't available in those stores?

Huh? What kind of "different tripods"? The screw mount for tripods is one of extremely few things with any notion of standardization in the photo world

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Video tripos are specifically designed for panning shots etc same screw mount...

Aha, video, that is a somewhat different story, yes. But very few of MILC buyers seem to for special equipment like that (shoulder mounts, steady rigs etc).

I don't see many large telephotos in the UK unless it's among certain types of journalists or sports photographers on TV and I would imagine they are often bought second hand, very very rarely see them even at nature reserves...

Up here in the cold Nordic they are relatively common, both among birders/wildlife people and among enthusiast sports/action shooters. It's not all that uncommon to see parents shooting kids playing soccer/hockey etc with a 6D/7D/D300/D600/D800 and a 70-200/2.0 for example. Or to meet a birder with a 500/4 over their shoulder. Lenses like 100-400 or 80-400 are downright common.

I interviewed a Tamron representative at last Photokina and he mentioned they had for a long time been confused by the Nordic market: Super zooms like their 18-270 hardly sold at all in the Nordic countries, while bigger lenses like their 200-500 did a little better.

Nordic photographers seem a bit under represented on Flickr, do they put their images online somewhere else?

Well a lot end up at www.fotosidan.se is kind of a Swedish/Nordic Dpreview - lots of forum activity, blogs, lots of images published, and they have a printed magazine largely based on member images.

I guess they absorb a lot of the photo enthusiasts in our region. Have a look at Galleri FS ("FS Gallery") which contain selected images from members.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow