Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
Re: Some real world experiences ...
In reply to Grevture, Nov 3, 2013

Grevture wrote:

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

Grevture wrote:

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

Do you not have real world experiences and aren't this real world experiences sometimes later confirmed by surveys/stats/findings etc...

Ok, my world experiences are specific to my local market (Sweden), and is almost a year old (December 2012) but comes from fairly extensive interviews with three managers from three of the largest camera retailers (stores) over here. If I make a rough average from what these three people said, some points stood out:

- the average buyer of a mirrorless camera bought about as many extra lenses as the average DSLR buyer did, but much, much cheaper lenses.

- every once in a while, they sell some really high margin lenses for DSLR's, like super-telephoto lenses (in the $7000 - $15000 range) for birders, enthusiast sports shooters an others. Those few lenses alone provide for more margin for these retailers the the entire mirrorless lens sales does combined.

- the average DSLR buyer spend a lot more money buying battery grips, flashes, tripods, camera bags, filters and other accessories then the average mirrorless buyer.

On of the retailers I talked to also deal extensively with second hand lenses and other accessories, and that market is (for pretty obvious reasons) orders of magnitude larger for DSLR then it is for mirrorless cameras.

Two of the three retailers I spoke to said they made more money (in terms of margins) selling high end compacts then they make from mirrorless which is very often sold with discounts.

From what I have seen, these real world experiences pretty well match with the little sales statistics I have seen.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Fair and valid points although the large telephotos would

have very slow stock turn and high stock holding cost which would have to be factored into end of day profit on those

Most stores don't have them in stock at all; if you want one, you order one.

And here is the kicker: Lenses like 500/4 sell in surprising numbers, in spite of costing $8500 - $10000 - they are popular for birding and wildlife. And when you buy one of those brutes, you tend also to buy a large steady tripod (like a $1000 Gitzo) and a a large gimbal head (like a $500 Wimberly) just for good measure. And maybe a new large backpack to carry the stuff. A single order like that can provide more margins for a store then the mirrorless sales does in a couple of weeks.

Now, the big money earners in terms of lenses are not those big and rare items, but rather the intersection of good margins and high sales volumes - lenses like 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and the 100-400 (Canon) or 80-400 (Nikon) in the $1500 - $2500 price range who sell in good numbers and still have very decent margins both for retailers and manufacturers. Also prime lenses like 28/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, and all the various macro lenses etc who are attainable for many, but still carry a price tag which allows for some margins.

items...What's the micro four thirds and other mirrorless marketing like in the Nordic countries?

Nikon has made a bit of advertising, Sony a tiny amount, and as of late it evidently has been Samsungs turn to beat the drum - they have had a successful campaign of "but a NX, get a Galaxy Tab for free" which has propelled them to the number two spot among mirrorless here in Sweden (behind Sony). Advertising aside, I guess it is the usual stuff: They visit stores, have training for sales people on new models etc.

O-MD usersdon't have as much user for tripods

Why not? Every camera benefits from a tripod. Now I agree owners of smaller cameras tend not to use tripods as often (contradicts the idea of carrying around a small and light camera), but that does not make them any less useful.

and GH users would need different kinds of tripods and accessories that maybe aren't available in those stores?

Huh? What kind of "different tripods"? The screw mount for tripods is one of extremely few things with any notion of standardization in the photo world

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Video tripos are specifically designed for panning shots etc same screw mount...
I don't see many large telephotos in the UK unless it's among certain types of journalists or sports photographers on TV and I would imagine they are often bought second hand, very very rarely see them even at nature reserves...
Nordic photographers seem a bit under represented on Flickr, do they put their images online somewhere else?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow