Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marek07
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
What....No More Matte screens!!???
Nov 3, 2013

After another couple of years it's time to update my macbook pro, After a quick search in the Apple store I began a more thorough inspection....still nothing....'Where are the Macbook Pro's with Matte screens' I asked an overly pierced trendy sales person...HUH was the response....then after a short pause I was told the standard statement on how good Retina is...Retina....retina... I began to explain, How I work in Design/Photography and the problems with glare, reflection, colour calibration with glossy screens and how Matte screens are very useful in our industry. His response was look at the people in this store...useful!!??? I looked around, and the penny dropped, the realisation that my beloved macs are no longer the work horses of my industry and expensive professional equipment...they have become an even more expensive toy, a statement of digital chicness!

I asked whether it's possible to call apple direct and maybe get a machine configured to my design needs....an option Apple were only too eager to fulfill a couple of years earlier. This option is no-longer available, Apparently It is possible to attach anti-glare screen to your laptop screen...but after paying over two thousand pounds for a laptop why would I want to stick a sheet of plastic on it, I want a piece of equipment that will fulfill my design needs!

I can live with the imperfections of using Matte screens, the worse gradient banding, not as bright...etc but I definitely can not live with the problems shiny glossy screens bring, especially if I am out on location.....and as for a bright sunny day I may as well be looking into a mirror!

I left the Apple store bemused, after so many years of using Apple Macs is this love affair finally coming to an end....

PS....Anyone know how to switch on a PC???:)

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow