Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wine540
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
OM-D EM-1 and Birding
8 months ago

I took my first birding trip with a hardcore "birder" yesterday taking along my new EM-1. I have 550 images (That's when the EM-1 battery ran out...I did have another ready). While the camera was "awesome" tracking birds in flight with rapid sequence exposures ( I felt like I was using an assault rifle on auto!).  The lens I used was a new Oly 75-300. It was great for capturing at a distance in a wild life refuge, but I have concerns about the contrast, speed and resolution of the lens. I was mostly hand holding with the ibis (not a bird..ha,ha) engaged, aperture preferred with a high shutter speed in fairly bright light. Using this was more or a problem in the hammock or where the light was more subdues. I need tips from experienced birders using Olympus equipment on lens options and optimizing captures. There were a lot of full frame Canons with "megaglass" (f 2.8 L models) each of looked liked it weighed 50 or more pounds! Can MFT do this.. Help me please.

-- hide signature --

Dan W

wine540's gear list:wine540's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DIFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow