ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yursturly
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In-Camera Lens Recognition question
Nov 3, 2013

Good day to all,

I hope that I ask this question correctly, and understand my depth of knowledge about newer DSLR's is somewhat out of date.

Back in the day, when I bought my K10D, I attempted to review and select a number of well-reviewed lenses that I thought would cover my various uses (landscape, macro, casual in home group shooting, etc). One of my favorite lens review sites was photozone.de, and I especially enjoyed their subjective recommendations about how to shoot my lenses depending on the weakness/strength of that lens.

As it turned out, my favorite lens was probably the least well reviewed, my Tamron AF 18-250 F3.5-6.3 Di II. It got 3 stars for optical quality and mechanical quality, and 5 for price/performance. But best was their recommendation regarding shooting it at the low and high ends of the zoom - stopping above F-8 at the long end, for example.

So now, the question. When my Pentax camera (K-3 on the way) receives a lens and "recognizes" it, is there any manipulation of the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focal program, that favors the "sweet spots" of that particular lens? For example, if I were to use my above Tamron, would the camera attempt to shoot above F-8 when the lens is zoomed all the way out? Similarly, would it favor another setting when shooting at the wide end, to avoid vignetting? I guess I'm talking about the "green" setting here, but others come to mind as well.

If it does attempt to initiate some programmed shooting with certain lenses, does it do this only with Pentax branded lenses, or with off-brand ones as well (especially in the case of Tamron, who made many of Pentax' lenses)?

Clearly from my question, I need some basic info regarding in camera lens recognition. Any redirection to a previous or other thread would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

-- hide signature --

You cannot fake sincerity

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K10D Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow