Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Re: No certainty anywhere
In reply to cdherman, 9 months ago

cdherman wrote:

Wallace Ross wrote:

Okay forgetting your weird backhanded request for help for the moment. My daughter shoots yearbook at her school and I gave her my K10d with a DA18-55 WR and she's never needed anything else seeing as the standard most kids use is their phone.

-- hide signature --

OK, my apologies to most of you -- I mainly was ticked at the one post that referred to me as "trollbait".....

Don't take it to heart. A lot of Pentaxians are pretty battered after the Hoya years.

Anyway, I was where you are a year or so ago. My current Pentax gear was worth perhaps 1/10th of what I paid for it on the second hand market, and I had need of stuff that Pentax didn't seem interested in providing. In my case, it was smaller cameras with smaller lenses. So I simply kept what I had - my K-x is still a very nice platform for long lenses since I don't need fast AF and I take a fair amount of wicked pleasure informing my 5Dmk3 owning friends that my humble 2009 vintage entry level cam beats their fancy-pants FF flagship in terms of DR and seeing them gnash their teeth . And then I bought a mirrorless system that I use most of the time these days for anything shorter than 200mm, which is the vast majority of my photography anyway.

Ricoh look like they're a much better owner than Hoya ever was. I am moderately hopeful that I will invest in another DSLR some day, although I feel absolutely no need right now. But there are certainly some vast gaps in the current Ricoh/Pentax offerings - fast longer lenses, good fast normal zooms, functional flash management and even modern TCs. If you feel you have little to lose and you need any of those, disregard what people here are saying and go for CaNikon. You don't get to redo life. You owe no brand anything. That Ricoh may fill those gaps in 5 years doesn't help you with the pictures you want to take today. On the other hand, if you don't need it then what Pentax offers right now is actually the state of the art in APS-C. Certainly I would not go CaNikon unless I decided I wanted FF (with the associated costs), because their current APS-C offerings are pretty sad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow